WHAT IS THE MUSTANG SOCCER LEAGUE COMPETITIVE PROGRAM AND ITS PHILOSOPHY?
MUSTANG SOCCER LEAGUE's Competitive Program is comprised of approximately 2000 players on 100+ Competitive teams, which represents about 40% of the MUSTANG SOCCER LEAGUE membership.
Mustang Soccer has two guiding principles as it relates to competitive player development:
- Making sure players learn the proper fundamentals, technical, tactical, physical and psychological components of the game as articulated by the Mustang Soccer competitive cirriculum.
- To make sure that all players enjoy the experience and look forward to returning the following year.
Fundamentals (ball mastery) are stressed at the younger age groups. Winning is a secondary consideration. As players mature and progress, decision-making and tactics are introduced.
MUSTANG SOCCER LEAGUE's Competitive Program's mission is Total Player Development in a family-friendly environment. We want our players and teams to be successful both on and off the field.
WHAT LEVEL TEAMS ARE AVAILABLE?
Teams are formed and the competitive competition committee makes sure to place those teams at the proper competitive level for the best level of challenge and competitive development for the players.
The current League structure in NorCal is as follows:
ECNL (Elite Clubs National League / Girls Only)
EGSL (Elite Girls Soccer League / Girls Only)
USSDA Academy (US Soccer Academy League / Boys Only)
NPL 1 (National Premier League)
NPL 2 (National Premier League)
HOW ARE COMPETITIVE TEAMS FORMED?
MUSTANG SOCCER LEAGUE Competitive Teams are formed using a player tryout process. MUSTANG SOCCER LEAGUE's goal is to form teams at all age groups. However, team formation is dependent upon the number and quality of players that attend tryouts and commit to play for the MUSTANG SOCCER LEAGUE team they are selected on. Teams are formed in two phases:
- Competitive Elite represents the competitive teams to be formed and coached by professional paid coaches.
- Competitive Premier represents the competitive teams to be formed and coached by volunteer parents. These coaches usually have a child on the team, and teams have a professional trainer once a week to provide consistency in teaching across all levels of play in the competitive program.
- U7/U8 Academy This program is to develop players who understand and have the ability to play the game at a higher competitive level. The Mustang Academy will look to improve their standard of play. This will occur individually, as well as in the team environment. There are no tryouts for U7/U8 Academy. Coaching is provided by Mustang Soccer Staff Coaches and Mustang Soccer Youth Coaches.
WHAT IS THE TIME AND TRAVEL COMMITMENT?
The time and travel commitment will vary depending upon the team's age group and level. Competitive Elite teams usually train 2-3 times per week beginning in April or May and continue training through January or February for younger age groups and March or April for the older age groups. The older age groups take a break from November through February to allow for high school soccer. These teams typically play in 5-7 tournaments per year with one or two of these being travel tournaments that require overnight stays.
Competitive Premier teams train 2 times per week beginning in July with one of the weekly sessions led by a professional Mustang coach. Training ends in November/December for younger teams and March or April for older teams that choose to play in State Cup. Teams typically play 4-5 tournaments per year with perhaps one of these being a travel tournament that requires overnight stay.
League play for all level competitive teams begins in September and continues through early November. Fall League play for all Divisions begins in September and finishes in the middle of November. Teams will play half their games at home and half of their games away. Competitive Elite teams may play Spring League with games on Saturdays and Sundays in March, April, May and June.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO PARTICIPATE?
Competitive Premier: Costs average between $625-$900 (Premier program fees and team fees)
Competitive Elite: Costs average between $1800-$2950 (Elite program fees and team fees)
IF WE CHOOSE TO PARTICIPATE IN THE COMPETITIVE PROGRAM, WHAT CAN WE EXPECT?
Mustang soccer has two guiding principles for its competitive program:
1. Make sure the players enjoy the experience and want to return the following year.
2. Make sure all players learn how to play soccer correctly while being developed to their full potential as a soccer player.
Winning is not a priority for competitive teams. Winning is a byproduct of sound fundamental teaching and principles as they relate to the game. It is important that all players learn the importance of commitment, dedication, work ethic, teamwork and achievement of goals in an effort to better themselves as players. It is the Mustang philosophy that learning these qualities will enhance every player’s full development as a player and as a person.